20.4.17

BOOK REVIEW: Ivy Lane by Cathy Bramley

From spring to summer, autumn to winter, a lot can happen in a single year.
Tilly Porter needs a fresh start, fresh air and a fresh attitude if she is ever to leave the past behind and move on with her life. As she seeks out peace and quiet in a new town, taking on a plot at Ivy Lane allotments seems like the perfect solution.
But the members of the friendly Ivy Lane community have other ideas and gradually draw Tilly into their cosy, comforting world of planting seedlings, organising bake sales and planning seasonal parties.
As the seasons pass, will Tilly learn to stop hiding amongst the sweetpeas and let people into her life- and her heart?

Publisher: Corgi
Pages: 443

One of the mums who I have made friends with at Darcey's school is a big chick lit fan and asked me if I liked Cathy Bramley; when I admitted that I hadn't read any of her books, she very kindly lent me the first three. I'm so glad she did as I fell in love with Ivy Lane and I can't wait to read more by this author.
Tilly is looking for a complete fresh start; a new job at a primary school, new village to live in and a new hobby in the form of a plot of land at Ivy Lane Allotments. She goes with the idea that she will keep herself to herself but the other residents of Ivy Lane have different ideas. She soon becomes an integral part of their little community and begins to think that it may be time to stop hiding and start living again instead.
This book was just what I needed this week (well the two days that it took to read it) it is warm, witty and charming. I took to Tilly straight away and the author keeps you guessing as to what she's running away from which adds a little bit of mystery. Tilly is one of life's good people; she goes out of her way to help others at Ivy Lane  and she does so without want of praise or appreciation. It reminded me a little of joining my village W.I. I, like Tilly was a little daunted by it at first but then you quickly become enveloped into the group and can't imagine not being a part of it. The author has created some splendid characters, they really did bring the whole story alive and it was great to see them take Tilly under their wing.
Ivy Lane by Cathy Bramley is a lovely, feel-good read, and it is part of a series so there's plenty more for me to catch up on!

1 comment:

Nadia said...

Dot, this sounds like such a lovely read. I'm so glad you mentioned it, because I really do seem to enjoy reading chick lit during the summer months. Now, I can't wait to add this book to my TBR list for the summer :)

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...